Digital assessment, online assessment, electronic assessment, e-assessment, or computer-based assessment - it goes by many names. But what is it? And what are the benefits of online assessment for the students, the academic and administrative staff and your organisation?
Put simply, an assessment platform supports your organisations’ entire examination cycle on-screen. It enables you to streamline every part of the exam process while providing a fulfilling learning and assessment experience to your test-takers. An assessment platform affects every learner and staff member involved.
|Benefits for students:
||Benefits for the organisation:
- High professional relevance
- Up-to-date with students’ requirements and habits derived from their everyday use of technology
- Cost-effective operation
- Empowering students to perform at their best
- Achieving higher staff and student satisfaction
- A positive environmental impact
|Benefits for administrative staff:
||Benefits for academic staff:
- Monitoring of the entire exam lifecycle from one place, even paper-based exams
- Security of exam delivery
- Archiving and reporting on bachelor and master theses
- Distribution of complete tests easily across the entire organisation
- Simplification of grading tools: auto-marking, readability of submissions, and flexible marking
- Support specialised needs in assessment, such as maths and drawing
- Mitigate plagiarism risks
- Opportunity to do marking and write feedback on-screen and remotely
E-assessment prepares students for the workplace of the future
Digital assessment is not just about getting rid of pen, paper, and handwriting. Digital assessment is the bridge between school, work, and active citizenship. It secures alignment between the tools used in everyday teaching and evaluations, and those test-takers will be using in their professional life.
On a more practical level, an assessment platform covers the following areas:
- Plan and schedule assessments
- Design exam paper, author and bank items, enable aids and access arrangements
- Deliver online and offline tests and monitor test-takers during the exam
- Mark and produce feedback
- Share results and feedback
Improve the quality of your exams with e-assessment
Another important aspect of digital or online assessment is the built-in continuous improvement of the assessment practice. When we conduct assessments, we obtain statistical and behavioural data. And, from this information, we can learn as much about learners' mastery of a subject as about the quality of the assessment and of the questions that we use. When we use this data in a smart way, we can become better question and test writers, speed up our learners' path to mastery, and improve the validity of our results.
It’s also true that online assessment speeds up the effectiveness of the whole assessment process. The administrative burden is heavily reduced, and the time and money saved can be used for the staff to focus on their core academic tasks. In the end, moving assessment online allows you to gain higher quality with fewer resources.
Want to learn more?
Online assessment is here to stay. Technology is pervasive in modern-day society, and educational institutions need to digitally transform themselves to adapt and provide services that are fit for the future. Learn more in the 'Why online assessment' section.